Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Beaba Babycook

I am lucky enough to have the Beaba Babycook, Papa Bear and Sister Bear gave it to me for Christmas.
I also got a great cookbook, Cooking for Baby (he got it at Williams Sonoma). Well of course I read almost the whole book that night. I wanted to get an idea of what making your own baby food was all about. Keep in mind I have zero experience with baby food....jarred or homemade. At the time Sister Bear was only 6 weeks old, no where near ready for baby food, but as usual, I wanted to be prepared for the future. The book has great hints and tips in the first few pages or so about getting started, what to introduce and when and how to prepare. Then came the recipes.

So although Sister Bear is now 5 months, we have still not started her on cereal or any other solids. But...this thing was calling my name!!!! I had read the book a couple more times and decided to give it a whirl.

I picked up two sweet potatoes at the store and they were my first adventure. Seemed like a good idea, pretty basic for baby food, pureed sweet potatoes. Very simple....basically steaming and pureeing.

So, here is how I did it:
I peeled the potatoes


Then I chopped them. This is one potato, cut up.


I added water to the reservoir in the Babycook, based on the instructions (to the line marked "3"), then added one chopped potato to the basket and put the basket in the bowl, and steamed it for 15 minutes.


After 15 minutes I checked the potatoes with a fork and decided they were soft enough. I took the basket out of the bowl, poured the water from the bowl into a cup (for later use) and transferred the potatoes into the bowl for pureeing. I added about 1 ounce of the reserved water and about 2 ounces of breast milk to the potatoes to thin them out. I pureed until nice and smooth.


I transferred the pureed sweet potatoes into the freezer tray and froze for 24 hours. After that I transferred the frozen pieces to a ziplock labeled with the date and type of food.


When it is time for Sister Bear to have solids, it will be so easy to just remove a portion of sweet potato, thaw and feed. She is going to love them!!

I really really loved making these sweet potatoes. It was so simple and fast. I loved that I barely had any dishes to do since everything was done in either the basket or the bowl. I am not sure what I will make next but I will post the information. I am thinking a fruit...pears maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment