Thursday, April 22, 2010

Papa Bear and Brother Bear are out to get me!!

Brother Bear has wanted a dog forever. He actually wants two dogs. We have been holding him off for a while. For the past year we were able to use the excuse that we couldn't get a dog because the baby was coming. Well now the baby is here, and Brother is not stupid. That could only mean one thing, right?? Dog time!!

Well I have to say, I now have ZERO interest in getting a pet. Although I think dogs are cute and seem fun, they also seem like a lot of work. Sort of like a baby is a lot of work. And we already have a baby....

So for some reason Papa Bear is all the sudden very interested in getting a dog. So now I have both him and Brother Bear breathing down my neck about this dog thing. I think I can hold them off for a while, I'm just not sure how long.

About 2 years ago I really wanted a dog. If we would have just done it then it would be totally different. The dog would already be here, trained and we would be used to life with a dog. I don't have the time or the energy to worry about a dog and it's effect on my house or my schedule.

I guess what I am saying is this...if you are considering getting a dog, get one before you have kids. Establish a life with a dog, get used to each other, get the dog trained. Then have a baby, or two, or three. OR....have kids, then wait until they get older (old enough to help) and then get a dog. We are in neither of these boats, in my opinion our only option is to wait until the kids are older, more independent and able to help if needed. Getting a dog right before, or after having a baby seems like a terrible idea. At least for my family.

For what it is worth, if we were to get a dog, I would REALLY REALLY love a mini golden doodle!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I do not want any pets either. And thankfully my husband understands there won't be one in our near future, but I'm sure I'll have to have this "fight" at some point as well. So I'm totally on your side of the argument if you ever need some reinforcement!
    But that dog is super cute :)

    ReplyDelete